POLICY AND PROCEDURE RELATING TO CONDUCT AND HANDLING OF EXAMINATION
An examination shall include
- Coursework assessment (i.e. tests, assignments, quizzes and seminar presentations )
- End of semester examinations
Students Registration for Examinations
Students will be required to register for the module offered in each semester and at the end of the semester he/she shall collect examination number from the office of the Registrar at least a day before onset of the examinations. Specific date and time for collect examinations numbers shall be communicated to students.
Registration and Eligibility for End of Semester Examination
No candidate shall be eligible for any end of semester examination unless the Head of Department for the respective module has satisfied himself/herself that the candidate has
- Registered himself/herself for the module;
- Attended and covered at least 75% of the time and content areas scheduled to be covered in each semester for subject or modules
- Scored at least 50% of the coursework for each subject or module
- Paid the school fees in full in respective semester.
If a student failed to meet any of the four conditions above he/she shall have to repeat the subject/module in the semester concerned.
- When a candidate, who has been barred in accordance with paragraph 5.3.1 above enters the examinations room and sits for the end of semester examination, his/her results in that paper shall be declared null and void. Such a candidate shall be discontinued.
- Any candidate may request to postponed sitting for end of semester examination by genuine reasons and permission for such postponement shall only be granted by the Vice Principal – Academic, Research and Consultancy.
Effect of Unauthorized Absence From Examinations
A candidate who deliberately absents himself/herself from end of semester examination without compelling reasons which will grant him/her permission to do so shall be deemed to have failed that examination.
Dates of Examination
- Dates of conducting continuous assessments shall be determined by the respective subject/module tutor and coursework marks shall be submitted to heads of respective departments at least a week before end of semester examinations starts.
- Dates for the end of semester examination shall be determined by the Vice Principal- Academic, Research and Consultancy and be published in the school almanac
- Dates for the Supplementary examinations shall be published in the school almanac
Coordination of the School Examinations
- The overall coordination of the examinations shall be the responsibility of the Registrar under the direction of the Vice Principal – Academic, Research and Consultancy
- Coursework results for each subject/module shall be completed and made available to students by the respective tutors, at least a week before commencement of the end of semester examinations
- The Principal shall appoint External Examiners for the school examinations, but the names should get approval from the Board of Examiners;
Regulations for Candidates
- Each candidate shall be required to observe all the regulations pertaining to examinations as outlined below:
- Each candidate admitted into the examination room shall have the following items:
- The Schools Identification Card
- Authorized working tools relevant to the examination, such as calculators, mathematical/ statistical tables, tax tables etc.
- An official Schools Card that bears the Examinations Number
- Borrowing of working tools from other students in the examinations room shall be prohibited;
- All students will assemble outside the examination room and will only enter if and when signed to do so by the invigilator;
- Before entering the examination room each candidate shall be required to ensure that he/she is not carrying any unauthorized material with him/her such as cellular phone, study notes etc.;
- Each student shall look around his/her seat and check if there is any unauthorized material. If any, the candidate shall notify the invigilator before the examination starts;
- Each candidate shall write his/her examination number on top of the cover of the answer booklet or script on the space provided before commencing to answer the examinations questions. Any answer booklet/script bearing the candidate’s name or any unusual mark shall not be marked;
- All examinations questions shall be answered in the answer booklet or script provided and no candidate shall be allowed to detach any paper from the answer booklet/script;
- No candidate who arrives more than half an hour after the start of the examination shall be admitted into the examination room;
- No candidate shall be allowed to leave the examination room during the first half an hour from the commencement of the examination or before handing in his/her answer booklet/script;
- No candidate is allowed to write anything on the question paper;
- All rough work must be written (if necessary) on the last page of the answer booklet/script and cancelled through before handing in the answer booklet/script to the invigilator;
- No candidate shall be allowed to go out of the examination room and return to continue with the examination, except where it is proved necessary as per section 5.7.9.
- Any candidate who fails to sit for an examination due to any reason acceptable by the school, will be allowed to sit for the examination during the next relevant or similar examination session and all the rules pertaining to academic evaluation will apply;
- Every candidate shall sign a memorandum that he/she shall not undertake any action susceptible to violation of Examination Regulation
- There shall be no special registration of students for examination. Every candidate registered as a student shall be deemed to be also registered for the appropriate examination in the relevant courses of study;